Specmar, Inc. Aluminum CAD Designs
NEW! Stephen Pollard Aluminum Designs
Glen-L is proud to offer designs by Stephen Pollard for welded aluminum construction complete with CAD files.
Stephen Pollard is the author of one of our most popular books, Boatbuilding with Aluminum. Stephen has built hundreds of aluminum boats--from large ocean racers to water-jet river boats-and has pioneered many of the techniques used in modern welded aluminum boat manufacturing.
And now, you too can build one of his custom aluminum designs with CAD files so you can have them cut by a local cutter. None of these designs require an assembly fixture or building form since the parts basically snap together.
When you order one of the designs below, you are purchasing a license to construct one (1) boat using the provided design. Additional licenses for any designs are discounted ten percent (10%).
To determine an approximate material cost: Use the weight noted for each design and multiply that by $3.35 and that will give you an approximate price for cutting, plate, flat bar, etc.
About the Designs
All designs are CAD lofted for computer controlled cutting and marking, making assembly easy for the novice builder.
From computer lofting data, burn sheets are prepared with parts nested to minimize waste. Parts are identified along with notes on production operations. Details include notches, brake lines, item part numbers and descriptions.
Assembly of the hull involves setting the stem/keel bar about 12 inches above the shop floor, pulling the bottom shell plate to match the marks on the stem/keel bar, and then simply placing the frames on the marks on the shell plate. It's that simple. Internal structural members are notched using an "Egg Crate" notch-to-notch technique for speed and accuracy of alignment, resulting in tasks that normally take weeks being reduced to days.
According to Pollard, "I think one of the nice things about our pre-cut boat kits is the lack of a need for an assembly fixture. Boats are basically self-jigging. Parts have lay out lines and interlocking notches that make assembly quite rapid and simple. Boats are designed to construct right side up. Attach the bottom plate to the keel, then place frames and longitudinal members on the lay out marks on the bottom plate. A beginner can assemble a rather complex boat with little actual boat building experience."
How to order your perfect aluminum design
1. Choose a design from those listed below (if you don't see what you're looking for, let us know). You can click on the photo for more details and drawings.
2. Purchase design from Glen-L Marine and enter the aluminum cutter and supplier in the box provided on the order.
3. Choose an aluminum supplier from our recommended List here. If you have a preferred supplier not on the list, please provide the company's details and we will contact them to arrange a license agreement.
4. Also choose a cutter from our recommended List here. If you have a preferred cutter not on the list, please provide the company's details and we will contact them to arrange a license agreement. If you plan on doing the cutting yourself, note that on your order and you'll be contacted to complete a "Builder's License Agreement".
5. Glen-L will provide you with the plans via USPS or UPS, to be determined by you when you place your order.
6. Glen-L will send the material list to your specified aluminum supplier and the aluminum supplier will contact you with a quote and arrange for payment and delivery or pick up of the material.
7. Glen-L will supply the cutting facility with the CAD files and the cutting facility will contact you to arrange for payment and delivery or pick up of the parts.
8. If you want custom design changes, these can be done on a per hour basis. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your proposed changes and we will provide a quote.
NOTE: Aluminum materials are not included with any of the the plans or CAD files below.